What is Normal Breastfeeding?

August 05, 2016

What is Normal Breastfeeding?

Being a new mum comes with a set of new questions and concerns, with some of the most common being about breastfeeding. Is my baby eating enough? Long enough? And what is this I heard about my baby sleeping through the night by 3 months?

Dr Jacqueline Kent has put some solid time into her breastfeeding research and after observing the feeding habits of numerous exclusively breastfeeding babies aged 1 to 6 months, she discovered that “normal” breastfeeding for one mum may be completely abnormal for the next.

How Long and How Much?

The amount of time that a baby may spend breastfeeding varies greatly, with each feeding ranging between 12 to 67 minutes in length and anywhere from 4 to 13 times a day. During each feed, the average amount of milk that was drank from one breast was 75 ml, but the amount varied anywhere from 30 to 135 ml.

Here’s another interesting statistic from the study: boys tend to drink more than girls! Over the course of a day, boys would consume an average of 831 ml while girls would consume 755 ml.

One Breast or Two?

Many new mums fret about their baby not getting enough when he or she continues to drink from only one breast. As Dr Kent’s study showed, it was actually quite common for babies to have a preference for one or both breasts:

  • 30% of infants always drank from just one breast

  • 13% of infants always drank from both

  • 57% regularly changed their preference

Do Babies Feed at Night?

We’ve all heard stories about that fortunate new mum who is enjoying a solid 8 hours of sleep each night. Turns out this isn’t a myth as 36% of exclusively breastfed babies don’t feed at night! Instead, these babies wake up and enjoy a large morning feed. The other 64% of babies like to spread out their feeds in fairly equal portions:

  • 28% of intake is in the morning

  • 28% of intake is in the afternoon

  • 24% of intake is in the is in the evening

  • 20% of intake is at night

Knowing if your bub is getting enough when breastfeeding can be difficult since, unlike bottle fed babies, we can’t actually see and keep track of how much our babies are consuming. But as this study shows, babies are individuals who have their own personal preferences and feeding styles.

As long as your baby is steadily gaining weight, meeting milestones and is happy, there is no need to worry whether or not your breastfed baby is getting enough milk.

To make it easier to breastfeed wherever you are, see the Peachymama sensational range of beautifully designed, comfortable breastfeeding tops at http://www.peachymama.com.au/!



Further Reading:

 DOWNLOAD PDF


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.


Also in Breastfeeding Blog

Picture Perfect - The Best Photo Apps for Mums

October 20, 2017

Picture Perfect - The Best Photo Apps for Mums

Here are some pretty cool apps available that can completely change the way you take pictures with your smartphone.
Read More
Top Ten Tips For Hiring A New Babysitter

October 13, 2017

Top Ten Tips For Hiring A New Babysitter

Here are some tips to make the entire "babysitter" process easier and less of a worry for you.
Read More
Can Friendships Survive Parenthood?

October 06, 2017

Can Friendships Survive Parenthood?

Here are helpful tips for adapting to your new role as a mum..
Read More
Size Chart

So that you get an accurate measurement using our sizing chart:

  1. Make sure you wrap the measuring tape around the fullest part of your bust and hips.
  2. When measuring your bust it is recommended you wear your breastfeeding/nursing bra. 

The Simple Version

(Peachymama Sizes = Australian Sizes)

XS = 8-10

S = 10-12

M = 12-14

L = 14-16

The Detailed Version

Tops & Dresses

Size

Bust (cm)

Bust (in)

Waist (cm)

Waist (in)

Hip (cm)

Hip (in)

XS 89-94 35-37

66-72

26-28 91-97 36-38
S 94-99 37-39 72-76 28-30 97-102 38-40
M 99-104 39-41 76-81 30-32 102-107 40-42
L 104-109 41-43 81-86 32-34 107-112

42-44

Pants & Jeans
The 'Front Rise' is the measurement from your crotch to your belly button.

Size

Waist (cm)

Waist (in)

Hip (cm)

Hip (in)

Front Rise (cm)

Front Rise (in)

XS 66-72 26-28 91-97 36-38 28 11
S 72-76 28-30 97-102 38-40 29 11 1/2
M 76-81 30-32 102-107 40-42 30 11 3/4
L 81-86 32-34 107-112 42-44 31 12
Pants & Jeans - Inside Leg

This is the measurement that indicates the pant's length.

Size

Inside Leg (cm)

Inside Leg (in)

XS 76 30
S 77 30 1/3
M 78 30 2/3
L 79 31

 3/4 Pants - Inside Leg
This is the measurement that indicates the pant's length.

Size

Inside Leg (cm)

Inside Leg (in)

XS 61 24 1/2
S
62
25
M
63
25
L
64
25 1/3

If you’re not sure or need some help please don’t hesitate to call us on 1300 473 224.