Cosy Slow Cooker Pea and Ham Soup
Pea and ham soup is the perfect meal for a cool autumn or winter day, and it’s easy to put together. With fewer than ten ingredients, you can easily whip up a large batch, set the slow cooker, and you’ll have a hearty and delicious meal ready for you and the family in the evening!
Here’s what you need before you get started:
- 500g split peas, rinsed (yellow or green work just fine)
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1000g ham hock
- 2 medium sized white or sweet potatoes
- 8 cups of chicken stock
This is how you can put everything together:
- Allow the split peas to soak in water in the refrigerator overnight before putting everything together in the slow cooker.
- Discard the water and add the split peas to the slow cooker.
- Place the ham hock in the slow cooker and pour the chicken stock over the top.
- Set the slow cooker to “high” for four hours
- Roughly chop up the onions, carrots, celery sticks, and potatoes. Place them in the slow cooker and set it to “low” for another four hours (or until the peas have softened and the ham hock is starting to come apart).
- Grab a pair of tongs and remove the ham hock and skin.
- Cut up the ham into small chunks and return the ham to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Kids love it when this recipe is served along with slices of cheesy toast. If you have some soup left over, this meal also freezes incredibly well for up to four months. Just allow it to cool and then place it in a freezer-friendly zipper bag.
Photo by Stay at Home Mum