All kids love chicken strips, but parents hate the lack of nutrition in the standard ones found in your average tuck shop.
What if we told you that you could make your very own healthier variation in the same amount of time it would take you to buy chicken strips from a restaurant? Here’s a quick and easy recipe that’s so simple to throw together that you can get the kids in on the food prep and cooking!
This is what you’ll need:
- 300g chicken breast fillet (approximately one fillet)
- 50g (1/3 Cup) plain flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 250ml (1 Cup) Panko breadcrumbs (these can be found in the bread or international food section of your supermarket) or standard breadcrumbs
- 30ml (1 Tbsp) grated Parmesan cheese
- 60ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
Dipping sauce (optional)
- 50g (1/3 Cup mayonnaise)
- 10ml (2 tsp) sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 juiced lemon (approximately 15ml)
Here’s how you can put everything all together:
- Slice the chicken breast fillet into 1cm strips. Dust the flour lightly over the fillet and dip it in the egg.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, and fully coat the chicken with the mixture.
- Take a large frying pan and heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the chicken strips for up to five minutes, turning often, so all sides are evenly browned.
- Line a plate with paper towel and place the cooked chicken strips on the plate.
- Mix the mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce and lemon. Place alongside the chicken strips, or use your own favourite chicken strip dipping sauce.
From start to finish, this recipe takes no more than 20 minutes to set on the table. Serve this finger friendly meal alongside some sliced veggies, fruit or sweet potato fries!
Photo by HealthiNation