Although we’ve just officially farewelled summer, we know that many parts of the country are still experiencing heatwave conditions. So with the prospect of the cooler months ahead, we should all be spending as much of these last few weeks soaking up some sun and less time indoors. That’s why we’re sharing this quick and delicious fish taco recipe that both you and the kids are sure to enjoy.
To get started, you’ll need:
- Finely shredded red cabbage (equivalent to one-quarter of the cabbage)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 cobs of corn (husks removed)
- 60ml olive oil (can substitute with rice bran oil)
- 1 mashed avocado
- 1 finely chopped French shallot
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 Tbsp plain all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 400g (approximately 14oz) white fish fillets (cut into strips)
- 4 corn tortillas (flour tortillas work well, too)
To serve, consider having the following on hand:
- Sour cream
- Lime cheeks
- Hot chilli sauce
- Fresh jalapeno chilli
Here’s how you can have this delicious meal whipped up and on the table in 30 minutes or less:
- Grab a saucepan and start boiling some water. While that’s heating up, combine the shredded cabbage with the extra virgin olive oil and one tablespoon of the lemon or lime juice in a bowl. Once the water is boiling, simmer the water and cook the corn in a steamer set for approximately 10 minutes (or until the corn is tender).
- Preheat either a large frying pan or a barbecue plate over medium-high heat. Brush the corn with one teaspoon of olive oil and then add it to the pan or barbecue, turning it occasionally until it’s charred. Then separate the kernels from the cob.
- In another bowl, combine the avocado, coriander, shallot and the leftover lemon or lime juice.
- Take a large bowl and mix the flour, ground coriander and cayenne pepper. Take each piece of fish and turn it once in the mixture so that the fish is well coated. Heat the leftover olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and then add the fish, cooking each side for two minutes (or until golden brown) and until the fish is cooked through. Set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- Divide the tortillas and top them off with the cabbage mixture, corn, fish, avocado, and any other toppings of your choosing.
Photo by Food Network