Sweet and Nutritious Summer Smoothies
Delicious, nutritious and fun to make, there’s a smoothie out there for everyone. Best of all, they are quick, require few ingredients, and are kid-approved!
No special equipment is needed for these sweet smoothies. You can whip up quick grab-and-go smoothies in a specialised “bullet blender”, or you toss and blend all of the ingredients in a standard blender for larger portions.
Here are some of our favourite smoothie recipes:
The Cran-Raspberry Smoothie
Super fast and simple, here’s what you need for this smoothie recipe:
- Half a small package of fresh raspberries (can also use frozen)
- 100ml cranberry juice
- 100ml natural yoghurt (or french vanilla for extra sweetness)
- 50ml milk (any kind will do)
The Dairy-Free Berry Delight
If you have leftover raspberries and cranberry juice, here’s another recipe to try:
- 250ml cranberry juice (can also use pomegranate)
- 250ml non-dairy milk (silken tofu, soy, almond, coconut or hemp work well)
- 500ml frozen mixed berries
- 30ml maple syrup or honey (optional)
The Green Goodness Smoothie
Have a hard time sneaking greens into your kids’ diet? Give this smoothie a try:
- 1 sliced banana
- 155g green grapes
- 200g natural or vanilla yoghurt
- 1/2 cored and chopped apple
- 60g fresh spinach leaves (can also substitute with frozen)
The Tropical Bliss Smoothie
This smoothie is so simple even a toddler can help put it together!
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 fresh peeled and cubed pineapple
- 250ml of orange, apple or pineapple juice
- 4 ice cubes
The Sweet Summer Treat
This smoothie is packed with so many nutrients it can be considered a whole meal! Here’s what you’ll need:
- 125ml almonds, whole
- 250ml dates, packed and with no pits
- 80ml cocoa powder
- 250ml boiling water
- 250ml milk (or non-dairy milk)
- A handful of ice cubes
This smoothie requires just a bit more work. Start by adding the almonds, dates, cocoa powder, and water to your blender. Let it sit for up to ten minutes unblended. Pour in the milk and ice cubes, and then run your blender at high speed until the smoothie is thick and frothy.
Change how you serve your smoothies!
Rather than serve your smoothies as a drink every time, pour the smoothie into reusable Popsicle holders and freeze them, or serve them as a smoothie bowl. You can top your smoothie bowl up with chopped up fruit, chia seeds, hemp hearts, almonds, granola – whatever you and your kids enjoy!